Sunday, October 4, 2009

Food

I just finished reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. The motto it tries to show you is: Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants. The main point is Food - not nutrients. Our food supply markets the latest nutrient that is suppose to make us well. For example, one of the nutrients being heavily marketed is Fiber. When I saw the commercials about Fruit Loops having fiber I had to laugh. When has Fruit Loops ever been a health cereal. They might have added fiber but it's still a bowl full of sugar and chemicals. It's not food. Food is simple, something that your Great Grandmother would have eaten. Our diets are too full of chemicals, preservatives and God knows what else. We need to start eating real food. We need to eat less-get back to real portion size and eat our veggies. I know this is hard, I struggle with my sugar addiction every day. But I know on the days I stay away from the sugar I feel better, I'm not so grumpy and I actually have more energy. I hope I didn't offend anyone. My kids use to eat Fruit Loops too. I'm just putting this out there for you to think about. Have a great Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment