Thursday, November 19, 2009

Learning from Life

Yesterday my youngest son's teacher pulled me aside because she wanted to tell me something funny that my son has been doing. She told me that if the other kids are whining about something he will look at them and say "I'm tired of listening to that, please stop." Or if they are saying they can not do something like turn on the light he will say "Yes you can, you just have to try."

I had to laugh, not because of what he was saying, but because that was me talking. I say things like this quite often. It's amazing the little things our children pick up from us...both good and bad. This got me thinking – what have I learned from my past?

I know I have certain saying or ways of doing things that I learned from my parents, but what have I learned from myself. We learn from our mistakes and we learn from past experiences, so what have I learned in the last year.

I looked back at some of my post from a year ago and it was very eye opening. Here are the things I noticed and what I've learned

  • I didn't blog much. Looking back I realize how amazing the old blog post are in documenting the little things that get lost in the day to day. I learned that even a small post is worth alot.

  • I wrote down some goals I had as a child. Looking back I realized I started working towards two of those goals this past year - I'm working on getting fit (on going) and I went back to school. I learned that it's important to write down your goals so you don't forget what you want from life and it's okay to change those goals.

  • I took classes, both on-line and at local stores, to help with my creativity. Looking back I realized how motivating these classes are. I learned that I need to take the time to learn new techniques or take challenges to keep my creativity moving forward. (Thanks Shimelle for the Blogging for Scrapbooking Class and Jessica for the Holiday in Hand class to help get me going again.)

What have you learned from your past mistakes? What funny things have your kids learned from you?

5 comments:

  1. Those are two great questions I'm going to have to think over. I can feel a new blog post coming on! Your son sounds very cute indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You mentioned Holidays in Hand... I'm taking that too :) Have you started on printing the prompts? I read them over and they look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like looking back & seeing what classes I have taken that worked for me & what didn't. It makes it easier to decide what to take next

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the mouth of babes. I will be linking to you on the Blog Around the World post on Saturday. Just wanted to let you know I'm still playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son's comments cracked me up! I love that he is encouraging to his fellow students. I am a classmate from Blogging for Scrapbookers.

    ReplyDelete