Saturday, January 9, 2010

Recipe

I'm always looking for a quick, filling snack that my boys will like. I was cleaning out some of my many piles of recipes that I've collected over the years and came across this yummy one. It's been a long time since I made them and I really don't know why. They are fast, easy to make, no cooking needed and very easy to adapt to what you have on hand.

The one ingredient that you may not have on hand is the flax seed. You can use wheat germ or oat germ if you have that on hand.



Powerball
1 cup sunbutter (or peanut butter)
1 cup honey
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup chocolate chips (I use enjoy life brand)
1 cup any combination seeds or dried fruit (or nuts)
Mix together the sunbutter and honey until smooth. Gradually add in oats and flax seed. Add chocolate chips and seeds/fruit (I use 1/2 cup raisins/cranberries and 1/2 cup no-nut trail mix). Gently mix. You can do this in a stand mixer or with your hands. I just use a good spoon and some elbow grease. Shape into ping-pong size balls; either by hand or with a scooper. You can eat them right away, but they'll be less sticky after a night in the fridge. They freeze well too, layered on wax paper in an airtight container.
Source: wondertime magazine; september 2008

1 comment:

  1. I made these yesterday with peanut butter, wheat germ, mini chocolate chips and sunflower seeds (as well as honey and oatmeal) and really liked them! Took some to work to share to. It's semester exams this week, so hopefully these will "boost" some brainpower for the boys!

    ReplyDelete