Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clear the Clutter

If you have been following along you know that I've been doing the Clear the Clutter challenge at OrgJunkie. The first few weeks I focused on getting my cookbooks and recipes in order.  Check out this post and this one if you want to check up with my progress. 

In one of my post I mentioned trying to cut down on the amount of recipes I print out.  I remembered reading a post about someone using delicious to help them keep there web-recipes organized.

If you are not familiar with delicious, it's a free service provided by Yahoo!. It's a website were you can organize all your bookmarks and get to them from any computer. It also lets you tag the website so you can search for the items you need easily. 

I've been using delicious to organize web-site that I come across, but I never thought about using it in any other way --- until now!  When I come across a recipe on the web that looks like something I would like, instead of printing it out, I bookmark it.  You can have as many tags as you like, so I have a tag for each tab in my paper recipe binder, but I also can go even more detailed.  An example would be, if I find a recipe for cookies. I can tag it as a recipe, cookies, dessert, chocolate, no-bake -- You can add as many as you like.


When you are looking for a recipe you just go to your delicious account and click on the tags that you are interested in search for and then pull up the recipe on the computer. You can still print it, but why print it until you really need it. Here is a screen shot of my recipes that I saved so far.  Since I just started this system I don't have many but you can get the idea.

My next task is going to be my pantries. As you can see I'm focusing on my "food" clutter. The end result I'm hoping for is to be able to start meal planning.

5 comments:

  1. I totally need to organize my recipes. I have so many favorites online. It's overwhelming to me. I'm working on the big stuff right now- huge hotspots around my house, but organizing recipes is on my radar. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, am checking into that right away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a paper person when it comes to my recipes. I tried keeping them online but I always end up printing them out. Your systm looks like it works well. Happy Organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a lot of people using delicious to bookmark recipes but I've never checked it out. I think I will. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of delicious. Thanks for the great tip!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete