Monday, January 31, 2011

Clear the Clutter




 It's the next week of 52 weeks of organizing.  Check out my other posts if you would like to see my progress.
 
This week I tackled a few little projects that really needed my attention. I have my recipes in order, but now I needed to be able to see what ingredients I have on hand and what I needed. My pantry was in sad shape. Everything was piled on top of each other. I had boxes of noodles on every shelf, so I had no clue as to what I had.


I took everything out and checked the expiration date. I only had a few things that had to be tossed, so that was a relief. I hate throwing food out. Then I designated each shelf. For instance the bottom shelf is baking supplies: sugar, floor, etc. I did the best I could with the designating, but some things just didn't work and needed a home, so It's not perfect, but that's fine.  Here's a look at what it looked like when I was done. Now I know what I have and what I was I needed.


I have also been getting these wonderful containers from Ikea and Oxo. I really like them because I can see what I have and so can the kids. As I see a need for a new one I make a mental note and when they are on sale I'll pick up one or two.

The other project I worked on I forgot to take pictures, but it's not that exciting.  I cleaned the junk drawer and organized our batteries. We had batteries everywhere. Now I have one place for them all and I realized I don't need AA or D batteries for a long time.

It's amazing how just cleaning and de-cluttering the smallest area can make you feel good. Next time you open a drawer or cabinet and shutter, step aside 15 minutes to straighten it up. Next thing you know it's done and you will feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment