Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baking Bread

Most people have lost the skill of bread making. It's too bad because with all our gadgets bread making can be very easy.

Why make a loaf of bread when you can buy it?

A few reasons.  It can be healthier, depending on the recipe.  It's fun to do with the kids. It makes your house smell great. It goes great with a cup of tea.

One of my "new" favorite bread recipes is from the Kitchen Stewardship blog. It's a wonderful recipe for Whole Wheat Bread and makes two standard size loaves. She has a few different ways to make the recipe but I just used the main recipe, minus the added gluten and dough enhancers.  I put everything in my kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook attachment. After 10 minutes in the mixer I had some beautiful dough. Here's the loaves as they were raising.


And here is the bread after it was done.  Even though it's a whole wheat bread, it was still very soft. That's one thing I really liked about these wonderful loaves. Also, I only had a few dishes to wash when I was done.  If it's been awhile since you had homemade bread give this recipe a try. It's easy and not very time consuming and the results are very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment