Friday, March 25, 2011

Clear the Clutter

This week I choose a mystery spot! Here's a photo of it:



I call it a mystery spot because there really is no name for it. It's the other side of my desk were no one can see unless they actually walk around and look at it.  Perfect spot to toss things and forget about them. Here's what I found:

  • Old Printer that needs to be sold or donate or recycled
  • Piles of paper to be shredded
  • Box of computer paper
  • Some storage containers
  • Dust Bunnies
  • Old Note Books
  • Office Supplies in the drawers

The area didn't take long to clean out.

  • The printer was moved to my sale prep area (basement)
  • Shredder and piles of paper were moved to middle of floor for sorting. Shred, Recycle, Scan.

  • Storage containers were moved with other containers
  • Vacuum took care of dust bunnies
  • Usable note book were put with school supplies
  • Drawers were kept and cleaned up

Since I had a pile of papers to shred already, I figured this was a great time to clean out my file drawer. I usually do this at the beginning of the year to get ready for tax time and to keep things manageable. Since I'm doing my taxes this weekend, I needed to get this done.  After removing anything from last year that needs to be shredded, my to shred pile grew quite large.




Now I know why I procrastinate on cleaning my files because now I have to spend the time shredding papers. Boring! My plan is to download a good audio book so I have something to listen to while I sit and shred this mess.  I really need to look into paperless opinion with my billing to cut down on this time consuming task. 

So here is my mystery spot after the clean up. I plan on putting a basket on top of the little file cabinet to put papers to be shredded instead of just having a pile on the floor. This will really help in keeping this out of sight space from becoming a huge mess.

11 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad its not just me that puts these things off lol See that's one of the brill things about blogs, it lets us know that we're not on our own with these things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that has to feel really good! My entire studio is so in need of attention that I have to get to it because it is shutting down my ability to work/create. Maybe I'll take your lead and choose a small section to focus on each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate shredding all my old paperwork. Downloading an audio book is a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice cleaning/organizing job. I agree about the shredding - I try to shred papers as needed so they don't pile up, but the end of year file clean out always creates a pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the feeling after I've organized! I'm a fellow classmate in Shimelle's Blogging for Scrapbookers class. Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Papers Papers! I try to shred weekly. I would vote for a paperless world. Happy Organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a grocery bag that needs to be shredded now and more paperwork to organize. It is neverending isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a "mystery area" that could really use my attention!

    Mary
    http://makingfamilylifefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the mystery area... I know it well. Way to go just concentrating on one spot at a time. I admire your focus! Like my mama says, "done is better than perfect."

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an inspiring post - makes me want to tackle a spot. Maybe the laundry room. . .
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! I have a whole family of dust bunnies living behind my sofa....

    ReplyDelete