I call it a mystery spot because there really is no name for it. It's the other side of my desk were no one can see unless they actually walk around and look at it. Perfect spot to toss things and forget about them. Here's what I found:
- Old Printer that needs to be sold or donate or recycled
- Piles of paper to be shredded
- Box of computer paper
- Some storage containers
- Dust Bunnies
- Old Note Books
- Office Supplies in the drawers
The area didn't take long to clean out.
- The printer was moved to my sale prep area (basement)
- Shredder and piles of paper were moved to middle of floor for sorting. Shred, Recycle, Scan.
- Storage containers were moved with other containers
- Vacuum took care of dust bunnies
- Usable note book were put with school supplies
- Drawers were kept and cleaned up
Since I had a pile of papers to shred already, I figured this was a great time to clean out my file drawer. I usually do this at the beginning of the year to get ready for tax time and to keep things manageable. Since I'm doing my taxes this weekend, I needed to get this done. After removing anything from last year that needs to be shredded, my to shred pile grew quite large.
Now I know why I procrastinate on cleaning my files because now I have to spend the time shredding papers. Boring! My plan is to download a good audio book so I have something to listen to while I sit and shred this mess. I really need to look into paperless opinion with my billing to cut down on this time consuming task.
So here is my mystery spot after the clean up. I plan on putting a basket on top of the little file cabinet to put papers to be shredded instead of just having a pile on the floor. This will really help in keeping this out of sight space from becoming a huge mess.