Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Game Time

Wii.
XBox 360.
DS.
Playstation.

I'm tired of all of them. I can count on one argument that revolves around video games at least once a day. I'm not a big fan of video games. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy them on occasion, but not every day.

We have tried different ways of controlling the amount of video time in the past. Lately the video time has gotten out of hand and I'm tired of being the referee.  A few weeks back at teach mama there was a post regarding video time.  I took that as my clue to try a new system.

I first made game tickets for each of the boys.  I gave them a heads up that things were going to change and then had a meeting with them to discuss the new rule for game time.  Here's were their tickets are stored and the rules.



Game Time Rules

·      Wii, Xbox, DS or other gaming systems are played only on weekends – Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (Exception: Snow days or unexpected days off)

·      Cards can be used only for Learning Games during the week.

·      Screen time starts after school.

·      New Cards on Monday

·      Cards total 1-2 hours per day depending on Reading Time.

·      Kids can cash in their cards whenever they want, but when they’re gone, they’re gone.

·      Kids can watch one show (no more than 60 minutes) after homework is complete.

·      Game time is forfeited if grades fall below a C or 3.


We have been doing this for only a week now, so we will see how this goes. I'm sure we will need some tweaks and changes along the way, but it's a start.


No comments:

Post a Comment