Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Part 2: Resources: Books and Web sites that are worth your time.







Welcome to the second part of my Coping with Food Allergy series.  Here is Part 1 of the series, if you missed it. Today's post is all about information resources. The list of web sites and books is enormous when it comes to food allergies.  I’m going to highlight the resources I go to most often and that have helped me the most in my quest to get a handle on living with food allergies.

Web sites and books about cooking and ingredients will be covered in my next Coping with Food Allergy post. This post will focus on informational books and web sites only.

Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN)  www.foodallergy.org

This was the first web site I went to after finding out about my sons allergy.  FAAN is celebrating 20 years serving the food allergy community. It’s mission is to build public awareness of food allergy through the media and through education, advocacy, and research efforts.

Their web site is an amazing resource of information on the top 8 allergies.  Their brochures and stories to help kids are great resources to start learning about food allergies and how to handle different situations.  They also do annual conferences that have wonderful speakers and support groups and charitable walks to help raise funds for research towards a cure.

Kids with Food Allergies www.kidswithfoodallergies.org

This was the web site that helped me through the most difficult time during my food allergy education.  This site deals with all food allergies, not just the top eight.  When my son was having major stomach problems we had to remove over a dozen different foods, including diary, soy, rice, corn, eggs, lemon, tomatoes, banana, peanuts, tree nuts, pork and beef. I was at a complete loss on what to feed my family.   Kids with Food Allergies has a tremendous on-line support forum and a very easy to use recipe index.  I really don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t find this web site.

 American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology’s Website  www.aaaai.org

This site has the latest in studies and guidelines in the medical community. It also has a search engine to help you find an allergist in your area.

 Allergy Mom’s  www.allergymoms.com

This is another site with great support articles.  They also offer a free newsletter.

         Please Don't Pass the Nuts http://allergicgirl.blogspot.com

I've been reading this blog for a long time. Allergic Girl, as she calls herself, has been living with food allergies her whole live. She works with the food allergic community and food service organizations on educating people.  She recently wrote a book, but I have not read it yet.



The Nut-Free Mom Blog nut-freemom.blogspot.com

This is a new site I just found and started to follow.  She has so many great post about living with her daughter's food allergy.


Some books that are worth looking into include:

     “Understanding and Managing Your Child’s Food Allergies” by Scott H. Sicherer, M.D. (2006).

      “The Complete Peanut Allergy Handbook” by Scott H. Sicherer, M.D. (2005)

Scott H. Sicherer, M.D. is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and a researcher in The Jaffe Food Allergy Institute at Mount Sinai.

Both of these books are a great resource for understanding food allergies. The information is presented in a way that is easy to understand and use to help live with food allergies.

     FAAN brochures.   FAAN has many brochures on their website that focus on different aspects of dealing with food allergies.  These brochures were the first materials I used to start my education on living with food allergies.


This is a great resource on dealing with your everyday life with food allergies.

There are also some great books for kids.

The FAAN Alexander the Elephant series of books help introduce your young child to the concept of food allergies and how to deal with different situations from holidays to school.

PBS Arthur has a wonderful episode "Binky goes Nuts" where Binky finds out he is allergic to peanuts.

One of the Gang: Nurturing the Souls of Children with Food Allergies” by Gina Clowes (2008).  This was writing by the founder of Allergy Mom. This book shows photos of real life (famous) people that live with food allergies.

This is not a complete list, there are many more websites and books available for different needs.  These are just a few that either I depend on or have been highly recommended to me by other families that live with food allergies.

Next week we will look at food. We will look at were to find recipes, special ingredients and tips on eating out.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. The posts on this blog do not constitute medical and/or legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Always discuss individual health questions, concerns and medical issues with a qualified personal physician.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for all these useful links! I've felt on top of my son's allergy thus far, but he starts secondary school later this year and is becoming more independent, so we're reaching a new phase with this and it's a bit scary that I won't be in control of what he eats any more.... I'll be checking these links for advice and reassurance on this, thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete