Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Organized Simplicity

I'm currently reading Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living by Tsh Oxenreider.  I've been following Tsh's blog, Simple Mom, for a few years now and really enjoy it. I had her book on my To Read list for awhile and finally picked it up when a local bookstore closed.

When I was reading the chapter about creating a family purpose statement, a quote really opened my eyes to something. She quotes Chareles E. Hummel, "stating that the greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important." This statement really summed up so much of what's been going on with my life. I've been spending so much time and energy on the tasks that are time consuming but not important. At the end of the day I feel like nothing was accomplised and my list of projects kept growing.

So I decided to set some goals for this month to focus on the things I feel our important.

1. Exercise daily for 30 minutes 5x week.
2. Go to bed by 10:30 pm
3. Spend 30 minutes 3x week reading
4. Spend only 30 minutes daily on email & blog reading
5. Pick one challenge blog and particate weekly
6. Spend 15 minutes 4x week organizing digital photos
7. Have one game night each week with kids
8. Set date in June and prepare for garage sale & mom2mom sale

Most of my goals focus on how I spend my time during the day. I've been letting too much time get wasted away because I hear the "you got mail" dinger, or because I get sidetrack when looking up something on-line. I now have a kitchen timer by my computer and in my craft room. Some steps make a big difference and if I work on things in smaller doses then I will not neglect other areas of life.

5 comments:

  1. great goals Monica. Hope the new focus helps you achieve what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo, this is good! I spend WAY too much time with email! I'm using your timer trick from here on out (well, maybe...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great goals although the 30 minutes for blog reading and email might be the hardest for me. I was getting sucked in for hours so now actually turn the computer off when I am done with the business at hand and move on to other things...like actually cleaning the house @@ Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. number 5 made me smile - I find myself subscribing to every challenge blog I see mention of and need to focus again

    I've been using a timer too - it really works for me to get doen chores I'm nto keen on as well as limit time guzzlers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I turn off my new mail alert and have now got a little time gadget on my desktop!

    ReplyDelete