Friday, June 24, 2011

Chore Chart

It's that time of year again around here.  Yes, it's summer. But it's also chore chart time. During the school year we get pretty laid back about chores. The boys have some chores to do during the school year but in the summer we step it up a notch or two.

Over time I've saved links to different ideas about chore charts, hoping one would jump out at me.  I decided to do a combination of this idea and this post.

First thing I did was make a list of morning and evening chores. I also made a list of bonus chores.  I grabbed a bunch of crafting sticks and paint and got to work.


The morning chores will be on Orange sticks, evening on Blue, Bonus on Green and the Yellow is for video time.

Then I wrote out a set orange, blue and yellow sticks for each child.  The green sticks I only needed one set.

The boys were told that they will get an allowance each week.  They get this money because they are part of the family and being a part of the family also means they have certain task they must do.  If Mom or Dad end up doing the task, or have to ask more than once for a task to get done, then they must pay us for doing their job.  If they want to earn extra money they can do one of the green sticks and if they want extra video time they will need to purchase more time.

The sticks that say Kitchen Chore, Bathroom Chore and Room Chore are rotating jobs.  I made this chore wheel so that each week the job will change.



I'm going to set up a chore chart station on top of our piano.  This will have a container for each child with their sticks and one to move the sticks to when complete. I will also hang the chore wheel on the wall, so there is no confusion of what jobs are to be done.  I'm sure I'll need to tweak a few things when we get started but as of now the boys are excited to get the chore chart started.

This post is link to Organized Junkie.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I've got to get my chore jars done too. It's similar in that I use a color coded system for jobs. I just use slips of paper that they transfer from one jar to another and when the jar is empty they are done for the day! But so far, they've actually been pretty good about their jobs! Yea!

    Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I've bookmarked it for when my daughter is older...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea! Wish I had thought of it when my girls were growing up.

    PS I read World Without End this year too!

    ReplyDelete