Friday, June 17, 2011

Clear the Clutter



Now that I have the remodel done, it was time to get down to business. This weekend we had a beautiful sunny day with the temps in the 70s, so it was perfect to tackle the messy garage.  I forgot to take before pictures, or maybe I just didn't want proof of how out of control it became.

I gave each of the boys a job to do while I removed the big items to the driveway. One child had to collect anything that had to do with bubble blowing and put it in the box I labeled bubbles. Another had to collect all the chalk - again box with label. The third child had to go through all the sports equipment and toss and broken items.


I then gave each shelf in the garage a theme. The lowest shelf theme was toys & games. This is were the bubbles, chalk, water guns and backyard games are stored. Next up was water/beach items on one side and cleaning supplies. Next up gardening, cords and trash bags. The very top is for large items that we don't need often.  The metal rack in the corner has all the gas, oil and lawn & bug spray.

The toy area is so much better.  We removed all the toys the boys out grew which freed up so much space. We also limited our ball collect by only allowing 3 of one type of ball.


I went through all our tools are tossed any item that was broke or we don't like and hung everything up.  The boxes in this picture are now gone too. They were hand me down clothes that I need to go through, which I did so now I have a nice open space.  The garbage can is for returnables.

It was such a big relief to get this task done. My youngest even commented on how nice the garage looks and that we should keep it that way.  I agree with him wholeheartedly!

Check out Organized Junkie to get other organizing, declutting ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job! Wish my husband would keep things organized in the garage. Ours never stays that way very long, but I hope yours does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I am so jealous... we don't even have a garage... we do have a shed... and my goal this summer is to go through that & get everything organized.... wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete