Thursday, June 23, 2011

Finding Photo Freedom

Big Picture Classes

One of my goals for this year was to take some on-line classes to get me organized and inspired. I was tired of spending most of my creative time just searching for the photo or supplies I needed and this year I was going to work on getting my things in order and getting a work flow down.

I was so excited when I heard that Stacy Julian was going to teach her Finding Photo Freedom class, which is based off of her Library of Memories system. For years I have read wonderful reviews about the LOM system and wanted to learn how it was done.

Three weeks ago was the first week and the assignment was to start organizing your photos using the system.  I started on the digital photos during the pre-class assignment and was finding it easy to go through my events in iphoto and star rate the photos.  Then I decided to start tackling the boxes of printed photos I have all around the house.  Most of these photos are from my childhood and were taken in the 70s and 80s.  Not the best photo quality era to begin with but still many great memories.



One thing I had working for me in this process, is that I'm not afraid to throw something away, even photos. After the initial purge I was feeling slightly guilty because I thought maybe I was a little to zealous on the purging.  I did spend time to go through the trash bag again just to make sure.



I then went through the photos and sorted them into decades. 

 
When I was finished I only had two boxes of photos left.  I also found three more albums that need to be sorted and rated, but it was a good start to getting things in order. 

4 comments:

  1. It's more than a good start! You pared down to 1/3 of the original stash and once you start (this week) triaging into category drawers, you are going to find lots of inspiration to scrap those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should feel really pleased with yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm plugging away at this course. Finding it hard to balance with all the summer fun going on too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job getting these photos sorted Monica!

    ReplyDelete