Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kindergarten Celebration



Our Conversation:

Me: What do you want to be when you grow up?

L: A Dad.

Me: That's great. But what do you want to do for a living?

L: What do you mean?

Me: What do you want to do to make money.

L: I just want to be a Dad.

Me: You can be a Dad and something else, like a doctor, teacher or policeman.

L: Then I won't have time to be with my kids.

Me: We have to pick something for your Kindergarten Celebration. Is there anything else you would like to be?

L: I guess I can go to an office.  But I still want to be a Dad.

You are not caught up into being something when you grow up.  In preschool, when you were asked that question you said "When I grow up, I want to be a man."  Now in Kindergarten, you want to be a Dad.

I really love that about you. You love to play house and cook with me. You love to take care of others. You have such a big heart and it's so filled with love that you are always making up songs to tell others that they are loved.

But since you needed to decorate a paper doll to look like you when you grow up, I pushed you to make another choice. I should have just left it alone at Dad. In the end you decided to say "I want to be a computer supervisor and a Dad because it sounds like fun."



You were so darn cute in your tie and you kept talking on my old cell phone in between the action.

 
It was a bittersweet moment to realize my baby is growing up.  You are going to be one awesome first grader! 

1 comment:

  1. I love this, the one thing that from childhood I felt I was born to be was a mother, so I am right there with him. I dare to say, this young man will grow up to be an amazing dad, he must have an awesome one of his own. TFS!

    ReplyDelete