Friday, July 22, 2011

Clear the Clutter

Something blew up in my laundry room!



Well, not really, but it looked that way.  Every time I walked into that room I would just cringe at the chaos in this room. I would tell myself that I really need to clean and organize the room to help make my laundry days a little less crazy. This discussion with myself went on for weeks and then I had some visitors that made me stop talking and start doing. Ants! Lots of Ants!

We keep our garbage can in this room so I made sure no one missed the can and made a picnic for the ants. There were a few little spots and I cleaned them up. But the ants kept coming. I don't like spraying chemicals all around so I decided to remove everything I could and do a top to bottom cleaning.

I was amazed at what I found. I had two large Sams Club size boxes of ziplock bags, which I didn't know I had.  I also had over 7 bottles of laundry detergent, so I don't think I need any for quite some time. Some items need to be moved into the basement or garage and others just needed to be put away. After washing everything down and putting things were they belong, I now have a clear space on my counter which I haven't seen in months.


I tossed the old brooms, mops and sweeper because I really only need one mop and one broom. I also recycled the piles of plastic bags I would stuff into one of the cabinets, which freed up the cabinet for what it should be used for.

I'm always amazed at how much better I feel when a room is not full of clutter. I have to say thank you to the ants. If it wasn't for their visit I would probably still be grumbling every time I walked into this room.  Even though I'm thankful, I hope they don't come back for a return visit.

This post is linked back to Organized Junkie for the 52 weeks of organizing challenge.

6 comments:

  1. hahaa, nothing like an infestation to make us clean and organize! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so nice to have clean and declutter even a little space - makes such a huge difference. Your laundry rooms looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Perhaps the counter could be used for folding now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same Monica. In fact I even feel great about seeing YOUR room decluttered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally notice a correlation between clutter in my space and the feeling of mental clutter. As I purge clutter, I literally feel so much better!

    I am a recovering perfectionist too! And as one, I have to remove my tendency to tackle a project "when I have the time to do it JUST RIGHT" and just do a little here and there when I can. I have some of these laundry room type things left that I just need to go and do as much and as well as I can. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I feel about my studio, the clutter overwhelms me and I can't create but when I come in to clean I get overwhelmed and walk out uggghhh. Good job on your part!

    ReplyDelete