Friday, July 15, 2011

Thank You Harry

Having a "geeky" HP moment at the Midnight showing of Deathly Hallows Part 2

It all started with a simple request from a little girl. To read a book she thought I would like. Who would have known that it would turn into a 10+ year obsession with the life of a little boy named Harry.

I was one of the lucky ones that had to wait for each new book to come out. I got to guess and discuss what was going to happen. I got to live each book with fresh eyes that no movie or person interrupted for me. I loved the waiting and wondering, the ups and downs, the new twist and turns. I LOVE HARRY POTTER!


I still remember when the last book was published. I waited by my door for the mail to be delivered. I pre-order the book on Amazon and it was guaranteed on that Saturday. When it arrived, my husband was away with the boys, so I settled into my favorite reading chair and devoured the book. I only got up when nature called and when dinner was ready. I stayed up all night to finish this wonderful book.

I've never read a book so fast, but I didn't want anyone to ruin it for me. I remember different parts that I cried and others that I laughed. I was amazed by some of the truths that were reveled and sad that it was over.

Me and Hedwig


Last night I went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. This was another bittersweet moment. After the books, I had the movies to look forward to, but now that too has come to a close. The evening was so much fun. Waiting in line at 5:00 to watch Part 1 at 9:00 and then Part 2 at 12 Midnight. Seeing the different people dressed up. Talking to people that love Harry just as much as I do. But I have to admit I do love Ron Weasley more.  The movie was wonderful. Of course, there were things left out, but it was a glorious finish to the movie series.

I just love Ron!!
 I'm lucky that I will be able to relive the books again as I read them to my children. I don't know if they will have the same effect on them. They already know the outcome and there is no suspence in waiting for the answers. Will they ever get to live through something so magical as Harry Potter? It's hard to imaging, but there is always hope.

Thank you J.K. Rowling for writing such a magical, entertaining story. You have brought many, many hours of happiness to my life and I will always cherish my memories of the boy that lived.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun. We're planning to see it on Monday - I'm not one to wait in line! LOL I've been re-reading all the books (currently on book 5) and we are re-watching all the moview (watching movie 6 tonight). I won't be done with all the books before we see the movie, but oh well, it was a nice goal. I'll see the movie & then finish up the books next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you Monica about the books. I haven't seen all the films (mainly because of the atrocious acting in the first one!) but my daughter has. In fact she's sitting here dressed as Ginny with her friends dressed as various other characters ready to watch the premiere at our local town tonight! I've been infected by her excitement again and I'm toying with the idea of re-reading the series...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also among those reading the series as each book came out. DD Sarah and I read the first few books together, starting when she was around eight years old and couldn't pronounce half the words or names. We so looked forward to each new book. During the last few she got heavily into fan fiction and started writing out chapters of what would/should happen next. I haven't followed the movies at all... after the books, the movies usually disappoint. My imagination is so much larger than what cinema can produce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica, great post!

    I trying to reach you by email, but see no contact. I was wondering if you wanted to do a short guest entry @ my blog re: a simple card project (short copy w/ photos). Understand if you have absolutely no time. You can reach me @ heartlandfrugalista@yahoo.com.

    Thanks,

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete