Friday, August 12, 2011

Clear the Clutter



It's been awhile sense I've joined in on the 52 weeks of decluttering, but I have been working. A drawer here, a cabinet there, a closet here. But here is my elephant:


Our basement. It's a mess. I started pulling things out for a garage sale over a year ago. Then the piles just kept growing and things would be thrown on top and you know the story.  As the saying goes, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. So this is my elephant, and I just need to take it one bite at a time.

I decided to sign up for a Mom-2-Mom Sale, which I'm doing tomorrow. This forced me to go through the bins and bags of clothing and baby items we know longer need.  I have 12 big items going to the sale tomorrow along with 4 bins full of clothing and other baby items.  Here is what I decided should go start to Good Will:


Yes, that is nine lawn size bags full of children clothing. After the sale tomorrow, I'm donating any of the clothing and toys that do not sell.  I might donate some of the big items, but a few I'm going to try on Craig's list.

Another step I took is to find out when our city is doing their next electronic equipment recycling day. We have quite a collection of old computers, printers, scanner, game consoles, etc.  I just couldn't throw these items away, but they are so old that they really will not benefit anyone. I'm pulling all those items out so that they are ready for the next recycling day.

The next few bites of the elephant will be:
  • donate books and movies to library
  • photograph items to sell on craig's list
  • donate everything else
I know longer plan on having a garage sale.  I just want my basement back in some type of usable order. It might take a month or more, but if I keep chipping away it will get there.

This post is link over to organized junkie.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! You are doing awesome! Those bags are impressive! You are inspiring to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My basement is definitely the exact same elephant- the only difference is that I have a few closets to hide things in down there. Way to go- I'm right w/ ya on the selling and donating and just trying to GET RID OF the kids stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it feel good to make progress getting rid of clutter. The past two weeks we've been tackling our worst closet - where Robbie keeps his extra "stuff." We've thrown out, donated, given away, and sold a ton of stuff - hoping to finish up this week with the remaining items.

    ReplyDelete