Friday, August 19, 2011

Clear the Clutter



Still working on my basement.  In case you don't remember what it looked like here is the before picture:


As a family we went down there and did some big time cleaning this past week. We made five different piles.

  • Toss
  • Donate to Goodwill
  • Donate to Library
  • Electronic Recycling
  • Craig's List/EBay

In the end we had 4 large boxes of books and videos for our local library. We put those directly into the car and they were dropped off when we went to the library.

We had 5 lawn size garbage bags of things that just needed to be tossed. They were not in any shape to donate.

We have a large collection of old computers, video game systems and other electronic items. Our city does a electronic recycling once a month, so we piled these items in the garage. In two weeks they will be loaded into the car and taken to the recycling program.

Items to be donated to Goodwill were moved to the gargage. Now that the books are out of my car, I can loaded these boxes and drop them off.

What was left in the basement are the items we are going to try to sell on Ebay/Craig's list. I need to take pictures and post them. If we do not do this by mid-October then they will just be donated too.

Here is a photo of our current basement:


It felt so great to get all that junk out of my house. The amazing thing is that I now have 4 large storage totes and several small storage boxes that are empty now.  I don't think I'll need to buy any storage containers for quite some time.

This post is being linked to organized junkie for the 52 weeks of organizing.

7 comments:

  1. It's looking great and sooo much bigger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you, I bet you keep standing and admiring all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a LOT of progress! You must feel so satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress!! Now go get that stuff on eBay & Craigslist - we're almost done with our closet cleanout & have made over $1200 from the stuff that dear hubby was storing in there. We sold some things to Half Price Books, some collectible items went on eBay & a few more on one of his collectible message boards! It took some work to get the photos & the items posted & now it's packaged and ready to ship on our errands today, but it feels so good to have it out of the house & a little extra cash in our pocket. Way to go on the basement!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I helped my SIL clean out their garage. I sweated off 5 pounds in the process here in hot humid South Carolina! I wish I had taken before and after pictures. It was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job, glad you were all able to work together. So awesome!!

    ReplyDelete