Friday, August 26, 2011

Fitness Friday



I love when I surprise myself!

I've said it before, I'm not a runner. I love weight training or a group fitness class.  I enjoy going for walks or walking on my treadmill (because I can read while I walk).  I would run on my treadmill on days that I couldn't do anything else. So this summer I committed to running a 5K so I started running outside and I'm enjoying it. I could do one mile and still be smiling. Than I started going 2 miles. That was fine but I had to really try to keep my mind in the right mood. Even with my music I had a "mind" fight on my hands. I stuck at 2 miles for months. I kept telling myself that I couldn't run more than that. One day I went on a 2 mile run, during the run I decided to take a different turn at the corner. I ended up running 2.6 miles.  I was so thrilled. I finally ran more than 2 miles and didn't die. Over the next few weeks I would rotate between 1, 2 and 2.6 miles.

Then reality hit me.  My 5K is less then 2 weeks away and I haven't run 5K yet. The thought of running over 3 miles was not something I was looking foward to doing, but I need to do it before the race. I headed out to a local bike trail to run a 4 mile run. This is more than the race but I figure if I can do that then the race will not be a problem. I was so thirsty for most of the race and the wind was pickiing up. I had to keep tlaking to myself to just keep running. I really didn't think it would be a good run. But this is where I surprised myself, when I hit the stop button on my watch and saw my time - 36:32!  My first thought was WHAT? Then I questioned the distance. I checked it on Map My Run and yes it was still 4 miles.

That's when I realized how much stronger I have become and I was very proud that I just kept going. It was a wonderful feeling.

I'm really looking forward to my 5K on September 1st.

Just keep Going!!  You can do it!

This post is linked up to:


Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

7 comments:

  1. Wahoo! Love to read stories about people getting outside their comfort zones and having success and being proud of themselves.

    Good for you!

    Enjoy that 5km event.

    Coming from the Fitness Friday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Monica..running is so NOT my thing!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica, Carrie from Milwaukee here checking in. So very, very thrilled for you!!! I just joined the gym today. I thought I could do without it, but I can't. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! Getting out of your comfort zone and doing something new and hard is difficult - I'm so happy that you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, I am soooo impressed with you! Good luck on the 5k, can't wait to see some pics and hear how exhilirating it was. Thank you so much for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You're doing great! I just know you're going to be able to run the 5k...you go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica, it's me again. Don't forget to post and let us know how you did! :)

    ReplyDelete