Friday, September 2, 2011

Fitness Friday

I did it!  I ran my first 5K.  What's the verdict?  I loved it!  I'll admit when I was slowly going up some of the hills I questioned my sanity.  I usually run on some pretty flat terrain so the bigger hills were something.  I only walked twice for a very short time.  One was to get a drink. I can not run and drink at the same time.  The other was at the last big hill, for just a part of it.  I learned that I really need to bring a small water bottle with me on the run because my dry mouth was causing me more problems then anything physical.

One of the things I loved the most about this run was that some of the houses we ran past had people in their lawn chairs yelling and cheering us on. During those times that I was questioning why anyone would want to do this, those cheers of "You can do it" and "Your doing great" really helped motivate me.  So thank you to all those nameless people that took the time out of their day to rally us crazy runners on.

Not a great photo, but the only one I have of me finishing the race.

So how did I do....I finished in 30:52.4!  That's 9:57/M pace and I was 17th in my age group (out of 54). I'm super happy and proud of myself. I was so glad my boys were their to see all those people of every age running and enjoying themselves.  The youngest racer was 5 and the oldest 79.  How inspiring!!

Now the question is will I do it again?  I'm already looking at two races coming up this month. I'm trying to decide which one I should do. Or maybe I should do both.  You will just have to wait and see what I decide.

16 comments:

  1. Congrats! you should be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, what a great achievement

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Monica - that is an amazing achievement and you have inspired me to have a go. Love your photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - CONGRATULATIONS! You should definitely be proud of your accomplishment and setting a good example for your boys. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Great time on your race - nice to have all the cheerleaders along the route.

    wahooo!

    Coming at you from the Fitness Friday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job that is awesome!! your time was great!! I am totally trying to get to a 30 minute 5k, I have only run 2 and one 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, you did excellent! Hopping by from Friday Fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome MonicaB! The hills get me every time.

    One of my new favorite quotes is
    "I believe no decision should be made while running up hill." ~Nike

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS! I'm aiming to break 30 for my next 5K, here's hoping!I love your book list too!

    Found you on fitness friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! It took me one race to get hooked and I have never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yippee! Way to go girl! I knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome! I really enjoyed my first 5K and am looking forward to doing more. I totally had to walk when I grabbed my water for the same reason--it takes way too much coordination to run through.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete