Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Status Update

I'm trying to get back to a "normal" routine around here.  We have been dealing with some medical issues in my family that have been taking up a lot of my time.  Over the last year we have been noticing a decline in my mom's health.  Words like depression and Alzheimer were being tossed around by us and her doctors.  But the last few months of 2011 we noticed her decline accelerate.

She had a fall at the end on November and she couldn't get back up.  Luckily she lives with my sister and was found not too long after the fall. While at the ER we requested an MRI because we knew something was not quite right. To everyone's surprise they found a brain tumor. The doctor confirmed that many of the issues we have been noticing over the year were probably due to this tumor.  He told us that he has seen many people that supposedly had severe depression or Alzheimer that actually had a brain tumor.

The type of tumor she had is becoming more common and it shows up more in women than men. It is not cancerous, but the only way to treat it, is to remove it. So she had brain surgery two week before Christmas.

My Mom on the day we went to get the 45 staples removed from her head surgery.

I went down (they live in a different state) to help my sister out, with my mom's recovery, last week.  She is doing great. She is still weak, but getting stronger every day.  Her vision is still blurred and double, but they said that could take up to 6 months to get better.  I was glad that I could go down there and help them out, even if it was just cooking and cleaning. My sister is a wonderful person to be handling the stress of my mom's care.  I know it's very difficult and frustrating.

Even though my trip to my sisters was not for a reason I would like to visit, we had a wonderful time. My sister has 3 girls (I have 3 boys), so it was nice to do girlie things for a week. Now that I'm back home and trying to catch up with my life and get back on schedule. 

9 comments:

  1. I hope your Mom continues to improve and am so thankful they were able to remove the tumor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear your Mom is improving. I'm also glad that you had a good time at your sister's, I just wish it was under better circumstances for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad they have found out what is wrong and were able to treat it. Hugs to you all over there from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you all have had to deal with this, but glad they were able to remove it and she is slowly recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your mum, but glad to hear she is recovering
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad she's doing well, you are in my thoughts and prayers. With two loving daughters, your mother is going to be well looked after xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Monica, I'm so glad your mother is doing well and that you were able to go help & enjoy a little visit. I'll keep her in my prayers for continued & quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prayers are with your mom as she recovers. Praises said that they were able to find out what was going on and that she will be back to herself in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending good vibes your way. Hope your mother is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete