Sunday, May 20, 2012

This Season

In this part of the United States, it's garage sale season.  Everywhere you look you will see a sign at the corner stating this way to the Biggest Sale.  The subdivision we live in coordinates with the surrounding subs to have one big weekend. I decided to join in this year to try to sell the last of the baby/little children toys and some of my excessive scrap-booking supplies.

I'm not one to visit garage sales. I just don't have the patience. I don't even like to shop.  I'm a go in, get what I need, and leave.  I'm not a browser. I'm also not a big fan of having the sale either.  They are a lot of work. Getting everything together. Pricing it and then sitting and waiting. Luckily, the weather was completely gorgeous, so I enjoyed sitting outside reading some books for three days.  In the end I made around minimum wage for my efforts. About $8 for each hour I was out there.  Not bad.

The big question is always what to do with everything that didn't sell. I was sick of looking at all the stuff so we packed up all the little toys and housewares items and took them to a local charity.  All the books were donated to our library. We have a few big items that we are going to try to see on Craig List and if they don't sell then we will donate them. I kept the scrap-booking items and I'm going to take them to our LSS for their garage sale - after that I'm going to check with my kids school and see if they can use any of the items.

Because of this sale I'm cleaning and reorganizing my craft area. One thing that really surprised me was how much stuff I was holding on to just because.  No other reason. The items were not my style or they were for a time that has passed me by (i.e. baby theme) or I won them or someone gave it to me.

I haven't been getting any crafting done lately because I was overwhelmed with everything.  It would take me too long to find the items I needed. So I'm really going through everything with a critical eye. If I don't love it and if it is not my style, even if it's cute, I have to move it on to someone that will love it. 

It's a big task. I finished going through all my paper and I think I need to get rid of more because I have no room to add anything.  Here's a photo of what I'm selling/donating:


Crazy, I know!!  The box underneath is 12in x 12in and is packed tight.  The stack sitting on top is another 7 inches of paper. This is enough paper for a small store.  Here's what I'm keeping.

I made a hanging folder for solids and patterns for all the main colors (black, brown, white, red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple).  I'm also using a vertical paper holder to storage a few themes like Christmas, Halloween and Birthday.

My next task is to go through my embellishments. I'm hoping to complete this clean and purge by next week so that I can start making some cards and projects that I've been wanting to do. If all goes well, you should be seeing some crafting projects really soon on this blog again.

I'm curious...What do you do with supplies that you no longer need?

3 comments:

  1. I just finished a big purge too! I'm selling it all (hopefully) at a garage sale in a few weekends. Plus, in my town, we have a Facebook group that I was just invited to join last week where moms list stuff they have for sale - everything from kids clothes and toys to furniture to craft supplies. I've been listing stuff there too in hopes of keeping me from pricing stuff for the garage sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add - I have sold lots of scrapbooking stuff on Ebay over the years with great success but I find it to be a lot of work, so I tend to do it just once or twice a year. I've also just donated it to a school or just taken it to Goodwill when I don't want to mess with it. I tend to get into an organization/purging phase often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on a HUGE declutter myself, enough is enough. So I'm interested to see hoe you get on

    ReplyDelete