Thursday, August 16, 2012

Summer Vacation

Our travel binders
I've been struggling with how I wanted to blog about our summer vacation. I don't want to bore everyone with a "first we did this and then we did that" narrative.  So over the last week I've been trying to figure out a good way of documenting our time.  And I'm still thinking and thinking and then I realized I was letting the perfectionist in me freeze my movement forward. That happens more often then I like to admit.  So I'm forcing myself to just go with the flow and to stop waiting for the "perfect" way.

I figure the best place to start is the beginning.  Getting ready for a 16 day road trip with 3 boys ages 10 and under is no small task. My husband took care of making the vacation plans, but it's my job to get everything ready and to try to keep everyone happy and comfortable in the car.

Our list of items included cases of water, snacks, hand held video games, books and lots of DVDs.

I also decided to make a binder for the boys to help entertain them but also teach them and help them document our vacation.  The first item I included in the binder was a map with our route drawn on the map.  Each apple represents a stay over point on the trip.  I also typed up our agenda for each day so there would be less surprises for the boys each day.


Page 1 of travel binder - Our driving route

 I also found many wonderful sites that had Road Trip game printable.  Check out my travel pinterest board to get copies of these wonderful games.  The boys favorite pages were the Road Trip Bingo and the License Plate Game.



I also went through many of our unfinished workbooks.  I put a random selection of dot-to-dot, cross words and coloring pages in each binder and because the pages were in a different format they seemed like new items to the boys and they were excited about doing the pages.




 Finally, I enclosed some blank paper and some photo sleeves.  At each stop along the way we had the boys pick out a post card to add to their binder.  I encouraged them to write something about the place on the back of the cards so they would remember what they liked.  This idea didn't always work, but the thought was there. :)


The binders were a big success and I'm sure we will do it again in the future.

5 comments:

  1. I think you may passed by my house :)
    Great job with the binders! I always have big ideas before we go on a trip but I always run out of time to implement them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know your first few sentences really hit a cord. I don't think of myself as a perfectionist but that is exactly what I do. I will take a leaf out of your book and the binders are great :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These binders look like a lot of fun, I think I would enjoy doing them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous idea & a great teaching tool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - now that is a road trip. I so love your binders! What a great, creative idea to keep your boys interested in the sights of the trip. :)

    ReplyDelete