Sunday, August 26, 2012

This trip was wild

I didn't forget about posting about our summer trip. I've been swamped with getting back into the grove of my school and the work that comes along with my classes and getting ready for my boys to get back to school. (One more week!)   So, sorry for the delay.

I'm a big nature lover. I enjoy seeing the landscape, hearing the birds and exploring what mother nature has to offer. One thing I really loving seeing are animals in their nature habitat. I knew that our trip out west would come with many opportunities to see wildlife.

I was surprised that our boys seemed to enjoy animals like the prairie dog or a lizard


more than they did a bear. 


I'm sure it was because the safe distance involved with the different animals. But give me a bear any day over a lizard.

Buffalo were by far the easiest to spot. They were stopping traffic all over the place.



We were lucky to spot some other animals from our car, such as big horn sheep


a family of deer


and an antelope.




We also had some mule just come up to the car looking for snacks.


 A few animals we had to get out of the car and walk through a field to get a good picture.  I was told that there were some Elk in the back of a field. Many people we taking the walk to get a peek, so I figured I would join in.  I like to play it safe around animals so I was keeping my eyes open to make sure I did surprise anything or get too close.  When I came around a bend, I think my heart stopped for a second. Not out of fear, but our of amazement.  Two big, beautiful Elk were grazing. The size of these animals was just breath taking and I still can not figure out how they can lift their heads with the size of their horns.


When we left the parks I was disappointed because I didn't get to see the animal I really had my heart set on seeing - a Moose.  I knew it would be a long shot to see one but that was the cherry on top for me.  Then one morning as we were driving, there it was.  It was walking right through someone's yard and across the highway. 


We got a few photos before it ambled into the bushes.  Talk about huge!! This animal was mammoth, but just strolled along so gentle and without a care.  I was glad we were all in the car and I was so excited that I got to see my Moose.







2 comments:

  1. This is my kind of vacation! You got fantastic pics, Monica. I didn't see a moose out there had to wait for the Alaska trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pics Monica!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete