Sunday, April 21, 2013

52 weeks of pins

I had a problem this week that I've run into many times before.  I would buy a jug of buttermilk for a recipe and still have quite a bit left over.  I can not tell you how many times I had to pour buttermilk down the drain because I only needed 1/2 cup for something.

I know that you can sour your own milk by adding vinegar to it, but when I'm making buttermilk pancakes I like to get the real stuff. 

When I went to get my buttermilk for pancakes this week, the store only have 1/2 galleon jugs.  I only needed 2 cups.

I was determined to use up the buttermilk before it went bad, but what else could I make.  My normal go to recipes are my pancakes and scones.  But scones only use 1/2 cup and I don't really need that many scones.

So I turned to pinterest.

Check out these get pins for recipes using buttermilk. 

I printed out a few and gave them a try.

We did the buttermilk muffins 


and the buttermilk chocolate bread.


Both were wonderful and we actually made a second batch of the muffins.

I have my eye on one of the buttermilk pound cake recipes to try next.

What do you do with your left over buttermilk?


1 comment:

  1. This week I tried a new recipe for homemade Creamy Garlic Dressing that starts with buttermilk - it's really good (& I'm really not a salad person, so that's saying a lot!).

    ReplyDelete