Sunday, September 15, 2013

Just words...new school year.

My kids started school right after Labor Day. I admit, I'm one of these parents that look forward to school starting. I like the routine. I like structure. I like a little quiet during the day.

I thought I was ready, but I'm really struggling. I'm overwhelmed with the "new" routine.

My oldest started Middle School. The amount of work and organization that he needs is so much more than he (or me) is use to having. We were warned about the increase but until you are in the middle of it, it's hard to get a grip on it.

My middle boy is starting what we call the nightmare homework year in Elementary School. Again, I've been through this with my first child, but this is a different kid.  He has a different way of doing things, so we have to prepare differently for this year.

Finally my youngest, he is starting third grade. The year that they try to teach the kids to be more responsible for themselves. So I need to try to let him take care of what he needs, and if necessary let him fail on his own to learn.

I'm just overwhelmed with what, as a parent, I need to do. I'm just taking one issue at a time and trying to figure out the best way to solve the problem for our family. Right now the big problem is dinner time. With all the sports and activities we are either rushing to eat or eating really late. I'm going to have have dinner really early and get the old crock pot out.

Do you have any tips on getting dinner to the table on a business day?

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. My two are in the same grade but each new school year brings an adjustment in the way we're used to doing things. It's hard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of adjustments at the same time, but I'm sure it'll settle into a routine that feels ok soon! I'm definitely in favor of crock pot meals & also prepping meals on the weekend (boil/bake chicken breasts than can be used in a couple of meals during the week, cut up veggies, plan meals, etc).

    ReplyDelete