Sunday, January 25, 2015

A year of Calligraphy

I love letters.

Beautiful handwriting has always made me happy.

Ever since I was little I wanted to learn calligraphy. I would buy a book or a kit, play with it for awhile and then set it aside. Like many beginners I wanted to jump to the end result. I didn't understand it took practice - lots of practice.

Practicing stokes, letters, words than phrases, not the other way around.

For years now I've been saying I wanted to really learn calligraphy.  But I had to make sure I had the right tools and the right book and the right paper. It had to be perfect before I started.  I realize that is how a perfectionist procrastinates.

I decided to stop wanting and start doing. This year I'm going to put in the time and practice to learn the art of calligraphy.  Each week I'm setting aside at least a few hours to work my way through the alphabet.  I grabbed one of my books and one of my nibs and a bottle of ink and started practicing.

Some of my practice sheets
If there is something you've been wanting to do, what is holding you back? Maybe just starting is what you need.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you are off to a beautiful start. I have started calligraphy a few times but have never made the time for the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start on this goal!! I've been wanting to learn more about the features of my camera...

    ReplyDelete